Creamed Corn With Crispy Bacon On Sourdough Bread Recipe January 30, 2016 20:57
Who's been keeping this secret - creamed corn, bacon and sourdough?
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Serving Size: 2
- 1 small white onion, very finely chopped
- 2 small pats of butter, plus extra for spreading
- 2 corn cobs
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 slices Benton's Bacon
- dash of light cream
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 2 thick slices of sourdough bread
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the broiler to medium-high. In a pan, sweat the onion on low heat in a pat of butter. Stand the corn vertically in a large bowl and use a long, sharp knife to cut away the kernels. Repeat with a second cob and try to include the base of the kernels, where lots of the juice is held. Add them to the onions, stir and add the water. Add a pat of butter and bring to a simmer under a lid for 10 minutes.
- Lay out the bacon on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Broil on the highest rack until crisp, turning halfway.
- When the kernels are tender, add the cream and grate in a good seasoning of nutmeg, tasting as you go. Season modestly and blend with a stick blender until smooth. Keep warm while you toast or broil the bread. Butter it lightly, then top with the corn and bacon.