Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Sliders October 18, 2015 09:48
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 7 hours
kiwiandbean.com Author, Sarah
- 2½ tablespoons of butter (or oil, to make this recipe dairy free)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 thumb-size pieces of ginger root, peeled and finely grated
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ to 1 teaspoon cayenne (optional; leave out if you have spice-averse kids)
- 1 398 ml / 15 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 small (156 ml / 5 oz) can tomato paste
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup whipping cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For serving: small slider-sized buns or cooked rice, cilantro, shredded cabbage, mango chutney, sliced cucumber
- Heat the oil or butter in a medium-sized skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until it is soft and starting to brown. Add garlic and ginger and continue to cook until the onion is brown and caramelized. Stir regularly so that the garlic and ginger do not burn.
- Add the garam masala, cumin and turmeric, and cook, stirring constantly until they become fragrant.
- Stir in the coconut milk and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and then take the mixture off the heat.
- At this point you can either transfer the mixture to the fridge or freezer and use it later, or dump it into the slow cooker and use it now.
- Combine the chicken thighs and coconut milk mixture in the bowl of the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken thighs are very tender.
- Remove the chicken thighs to a plate and shred them. Whisk the cornstarch into the sauce and turn the slow cooker to high. Stir in the whipping cream, if using. (To prevent the cream from curdling, add a little of the butter chicken sauce into the whipping cream to bring it to room temperature, and then dump the mixture into the crock pot). Add salt and pepper to taste. (You will need quite a bit of salt; I added about 2 teaspoons.)
- Dump the shredded chicken back into the sauce and serve on slider buns with your favourite condiments and garnishes. Alternatively you can pile the shredded chicken onto the buns, and drizzle the sauce over top.
- Leftovers can be cooled in the fridge and then frozen in Ziploc bags or containers.
We recommend our slider or silver dollar buns